"Weather Storm" - Mixed By Imani (Deep and Darker House and some Soul Brokenbeat)

























Weather Storm was mixed on a rainy night. There was a really lonely feeling in the air cause it had been pouring all week. There was a travelling carnival in town, in this big open field, and every time I passed by it, it was barren. No one wants to be walking around in the mud, and slipping on the ride's steel walkways and stairs. Everyone was dreary eyed in the bar and seemed reserved. I've been suffering from some serious back pain myself, so I needed some heavy beats to get my mind off of this misery. Miami's WMC 2009 is only a couple of weeks away, so that should help. I wanted to get insanely dark with this one, but I figured it wouldn't work with the tiny crowd that was at this gig. 

There are a few upbeat tracks to keep some variety to the mix, and a couple of old favorites. My goal was to make a mix that would be good for background on a rainy night, just relaxing, or a late night rendezvous. It wasn't exactly as I had intended, but that happens with live mixes, especially when people are coming up to the DJ Booth to chat, compliment, complain or whatever. You still are spinning for a crowd, and need to read their body language, and cater to their moods.  It tends to distract and alter the recording process, and in my case, sometimes it switches my mood.  The worst is when drunk asses keep coming up and bothering me with requests.  People who make stupid requests are worse than someone punching a surgeon in the arm as they are tediously giving laser eye surgery. Or someone who is on their cell phone during a moment of silence at a funeral. You've got to have nerves of a champion if that shit wouldn't get to you.

Anyhow, I love the song Weather Storm by Massive Attack, so that is where I got the title, even though that track is not on this mix.

1 - Astrology - Blaze
2 - Be With You (DHP Mix) - Carolyn Harding
3 - Japan - Neurotron
4 - Hiya Kaya (Rocco Deep Mix) - Kentphonik feat. Khensy
5 - Mirror Dance - Afefe Iku
6 - The Rite Place - Blakkat
7 - Illuminations - Ski Oakenfull
8 - The Oldest Story (Swag's New Story Vocal Mix) - P'Taah
9 - Paper Chase - Clara Hill Meets Vikter Duplaix
10 - Like Rain (Nomumbah Remix) - Tamara Wellons
11 - On My Heart (Dub) - Isoul8 Feat. Paul Randolph
12 - Drifting Away (Nacho Marco Remix) - Chubby Dubz
13 - Deep House Soul (Vas & Mr Jones Remix) - Vas Floyd

Download Individually Here

No comments: